Using the ManPans Perforated Deep Dish Pizza Pan was the key to keeping this robust pie from having a soggy crust. The perforated holes allow the steam from the dough to escape and to let dry heat in.
Let us know if you try this deep dish pizza recipe!
Because we like to retard the rising of the dough for better flavor, we made our dough 2 days ahead of time. Mix the dry ingredients, then the water, adding the oil only after the water has been thoroughly mixed first. The 21 ounce dough ball was kept refrigerated and taken out about 2 hours before using. Use this recipe for Easy Pizza Dough for reference.
Prepare your fillings ahead of time and gather everything together for assembly. We sautéed raw Italian Sausage, onions and sliced Mushrooms, and readied shredded mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone cheeses, slivered pepperoni, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh basil and oregano and a flavorful chunky tomato sauce. Big recipe!
Preheat your oven to 425 F. Roll the dough out into a roughly 16 wide round. Butter the pan so that the dough will stick to the sides of the pan. Line the pan with dough.
Layer the ingredients in this order: cheese blend, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, sausage, oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese then the sauce on top.
Bake at 425 F for 30 minutes in the upper third of the oven.
Now comes the important part! Let the pie cool with a Pizza Cooling Ring so that the hot crust has a chance to lose it’s steam out the bottom holes of the perforated pan. After about 5-7 minutes the deep dish pizza pie is ready to depan. We used a plate placed on top, inverted the pan, pulled off the pan, replaced it with the cutting board and inverted the pie back. Worked like a charm but a second person to help sure was needed!
Slice into wedges and enjoy! Deep dish pizza is a delicious meal made better with a ManPans Perforated Deep Dish Pizza Pan!
Recipe: Deep Dish Pizza
Summary: Using the ManPans Perforated Deep Dish Pizza Pan
Dough (21 Oz Ball)
- 3C flour
- 1C water
- 0.59 tsp IDY
- 2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp oil
Butter for the PanPie Ingredients
- 16 oz. mixed, shredded mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone cheeses
- 6 oz. pepperoni, slivered
- 2C sautéed onions
- 2C sautéed sliced mushrooms
- ¾ pound (raw) Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Fresh Oregano leaves
- 3C chunky tomato sauce
- To a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, add water, flour, salt and yeast and mix on low for 2-3 minutes until the dough starts to come together. Add oil and mix on low for another 2-3 minutes. Mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes until the dough achieves a satiny sheen.
- Dump out on a floured surface, form into a ball and, with a little olive oil, put into an air tight container (plastic ziplock bag or plastic container). Store in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- When ready to make deep dish pizza, remove dough from refrigerator about 1-2 hours before use. Preheat oven to 425 F. On a floured surface, roll or form dough into a round about 14-16 inches. Butter the Perforated Deep Dish Pizza Pan so the dough will stick to the sides (and add great flavor!). Place the flat dough in the pan and gently pull up the sides, close to the top. Repair any tears in the dough by pinching and pressing.
Now just layer your ingredients in this order:
- cheese blend
- sautéed onions
- sautéed sliced mushrooms
- cooked and crumbled Italian sausage
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Fresh Oregano leaves
- chunky tomato sauce
- See the photographs above for a visual reference.
- Position oven rack in upper part of oven, leaving room for the pan.
- Bake pie for about 30 minutes at 425 F.
- Remove pie and elevate to cool with a Pizza Ring or cooling rack so that steam has a chance to escape out the bottom of the pan. After about 8-10 minutes, remove from pan by placing a plate on top of the pie, inverting and lifting off the pan, replace on top a cutting board and invert again, ending up the your perfectly finished deep dish pizza pie on that cutting board ready to slice and enjoy.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Psssssssst!! Use coupon code 10OFFNOW for a 10 Buck Discount when you buy your Perforated Deep Dish Pizza Pan!