Homemade pizza dough recipe
This easy to make pizza dough recipe takes very little work to make because of it’s no knead style. Mix it up 1-3 days ahead of pizza making day. Time does the work! Recipe below.
The most accurate method for measuring flour is by weight. Investing in a small scale will improve your baking skills by ensuring you can accurately repeat flour measurements. Mix the dry ingredients together then add the water. Mix with a spoon or floured hand until reasonably incorporated.
Add the olive oil and mix until a sticky ball is achieved. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature for about 6-8 hours or longer, until dough doubles in size. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, divide into 4 portions and gently form each into a ball. With a little olive oil, put each ball into plastic bags or other vessel and refrigerate from 1-3 days.
Take the dough out and rest at room temperature for about 2 hours before shaping. Preheat oven to 500˚F at least 30 minutes prior to baking with the oven rack on the second to the top position. On a floured surface, shape each dough ball into a 12 inch round by gently stretching. Fold into quarters to transfer to the ManPans Perforated Pizza Pan 12 Inch, unfolding right away to avoid sticking. Gently pull dough to the edges of the pan. Add toppings and bake each pie for 15 – 18 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting, using a pizza cooling ring. This avoids a soggy crust allowing steam to escape while dough cools.
Ingredients for 2 Dough Balls
- 450 grams (15.8 ounces) bread flour (about 3 3/4 cups) plus more for shaping dough
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (about 1/3 packet Active Dry Yeast)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Whisk flour, salt, and yeast in a medium bowl. While stirring with a wooden spoon, gradually add the 1 1/3 cups water; stir until well incorporated. Mix dough gently bringing it together to form into a rough ball. Add the olive oil and continue mixing until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature (about 72°) in a draft-free area until the dough has more than doubled in size, about 6–8 hours (time will vary depending on the temperature in the room).
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Gently shape into a rough rectangle. Divide into 2 equal portions. Working with 1 half at a time, gather 4 corners to center to create 4 folds. Turn seam side down and mold gently into a ball. Dust dough with flour; set aside on work surface or a floured baking sheet. Repeat with remaining half.
- Wrap each dough ball separately in lightly oiled plastic ziplock bags and chill in refrigerator from 1–3 days. Unwrap and let rest at room temperature on a lightly floured work surface, covered with plastic wrap, for 2–3 hours before shaping.
- During the last hour of dough’s resting, prepare oven: Arrange a rack in the second position from the top of oven and preheat to 500°–550° for at least 30 minutes.
- Working with 1 dough ball at a time, dust dough generously with flour and place on a floured work surface. Gently shape dough into a 10″–12″ disk, fold into quarters and transfer to the ManPans Perforated Pizza Pan 12 Inch, unfolding immediately to avoid dough sticking to itself. Gently pull dough edges out to the edge of the pan being careful not to force dough into the holes.
- Top with desired toppings and place on oven rack, baking pizza for 15–18 minutes or until bottom of crust is crisp and top is blistered.
- Using a peel or hot pad, transfer to a work surface to cool on a Pizza Cooling Ring for several minutes, allowing the steam from the crust underneath to escape. Cut into slices. Repeat, allowing oven to reheat for at least 5 minutes between pizzas.
Number of servings (yield): 4 (2- 12 inch pizza pies)
- Flour: 100%
- Salt: 2.3%
- Active Dry Yeast: .3%
- Water: 71%
- Oil: 3%
Our toppings in the ManPans Test Kitchen were:
- Tomato sauce, cheese blend, summer sausage and green pepper
- Mushroom mix first sautéed in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. A brushing of garlic olive oil, Fontina cheese, the mushroom mix, some added cracked pepper, a little sage, topped with shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Pesto sauce, sliced tomatoes, marinated artichokes, chunks of Feta cheese, topped with shaved Parmesan cheese. After the bake, finish with chopped greens like basil, cilantro or parsley.
The easy pizza dough recipe produced a medium thick crust that had good flavor, a satisfying crunchy texture with good snap and held the toppings well. We loved it! Let us know if you try this recipe and how it turns out for you!
- High quality, durable pans
- Easy Release, non-toxic coatings
- No PTFE, totally safe
- Pre-seasoned, oven safe to 700˚F