Recipe provided by SavorX and Pete Taylor
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 Famished Friends
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
If you’ve been lucky enough to try this AMAZING dish, you will know how beautiful it really is. Cracked peppercorn seared steak with a cognac cream sauce. I like to pair this dish with Herbs de Provence potatoes, and asparagus sprinkled with Fleur de sel (French Sea Salt). Bon Appétit!
- 1 Steak Au Poivre Culinary Kit
- 4 Thick-Cut Steaks (I prefer tenderloin), 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Pound Asparagus
- 1 1/2 Pounds Red Bliss Potatoes
Check out our selection of Fry Pans and Skillets.
- Coat washed potatoes with oil.
- Toss with Kosher salt and the Herbs de Provence from your Culinary Kit.
- Bake at 350°F until fork tender.
- Trim asparagus.
- Shock in ice water.
- Set aside until the steak is ready.
- Saute in a medium skillet.
- Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel from your Culinary Kit.
- Sprinkle all sides of steaks with Kosher Salt
- Spread the crushed peppercorns from your Culinary Kit evenly on a plate.
- Coat each surface of the steaks by pressing them into the peppercorns. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter and olive oil begin to turn golden and smoke, place the steaks in the pan.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until done to your liking.
- Remove pan from heat, transfer steaks to a holding dish and cover with a foil tent. Do not scrape the pan.
- With the pan away from the heat, add 1/3 Cup Cognac to pan and carefully ignite with a long match or firestick.
- Shake pan gently until the flames die.
- Return pan to medium heat.
- Add cream and bring to a boil.
- Whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the teaspoon of Cognac.
- Season to taste.
- Spoon sauce over steaks.
Pete Taylor from SavorX has a video that shows how to prepare this dish.